Making videos is one of the best ways to preserve happy memories. Those memories are more likely to be cherished when captured professionally. To make it, you need the best possible equipment for this – a 4K video camera.
With a 4K video camera, it’s easier to come up with professional-looking footage even if you are not a pro in photography. Whether it’s a wedding ceremony or a holiday trip, you have to ensure that your videos will be perfect. Using a 4K video camera will be the best way to create great footage.
In no particular order, here are top 10 4K video cameras to help you find the ultimate choice for you:
1. Easiest to Use: Canon EOS M50
Editor’s Rating: 4.6 out of 5
- Easy to Use – this 4K video camera is the easiest to use of all handheld video and still photography cameras. You will enjoy 4K quality with a Digic 8 processor and 24.1 MP sensor.
- Easy Viewing – it comes with a view monitor that offers more when it comes to viewing flexibility. You can reposition it at different angles.
- Quick Transfer – if you use the Camera Connect application, you can smoothly and effortlessly transfer photo files to your smart device or computer. Use your fingertips and tap the touchscreen.
- Great Extra Features – this 4K camera includes other amazing features like the Dual Pixel CMOS AF that ensures you get the best quality for videos and photos. It also has an electronic viewfinder that helps in getting premium quality for the images you want to shoot.
- Easy to use
- Electronic viewfinder
- Portable and compact
- Cannot capture in tight areas or corners
2. Best Value: Canon XA11
Editor’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5
- Unmatched Overall Image Quality – Canon XA11 is an extraordinary 4K video camera. It combines the innovative CMOS Pro Sensor that can capture clear images with a resolution of 2136 x 1362 pixels. With its high sensor sensitivity, the camera can provide vivid and accurate recording via the best noise to signal ratio.
- Good Zooming Performance – this 4K video camera features a 20x HD zooming lenses that give a versatile zooming range that reaches 35m with an object distance of at least 23.6 inches.
- Multiple Footage Codecs – this camcorder creates footage with a full HD resolution saved in MP4 and AVCHD codecs. Likewise, the Canon comprehensive HD system provides exceptional image reproduction and quality in various shooting scenarios.
- Accepts Most Memory Card Brands – this video camera works with universal SDXC and SDHC memory cards that give incredibly high capacity plus super-fast speeds for data transfer.
- 20x high-def optical zooming lens
- Optical image stabilization
- HD CMOS Pro sensor
- Poor lowlight color stabilization
3. Best Performance: Sony FDRAX3
Editor’s Rating: 4.4 out of 5
- Excellent Overall Camera Quality – this 4K video camera can meet and even exceed your expectations for the quality of your footages. That’s because it can record videos at 24p or 30p, ensuring that you get the best quality for your photos and videos. It even comes with the optical stabilization technology, making the camera able to capture crisp and steady shots.
- Ease of Use – this camera also comes with a manual control ring that allows you to adjust the f-stops. Hence, you have more control over the general quality of your footages and images with this camera.
- Incredible Shutter Speed – for the shutter speed in this 4K video camera, it can range from 1/30 to 1/10,000 per second. With this, you can take shots of a fast-moving object with ease. The camera’s MP4, xavc stm3, and avchd codecs recording options.
- 4K video quality
- Several recording choices
- With a physical control ring
- Smartphone control problems
4. Best for Close-up Shots: Panasonic Lumix FZ80
Editor’s Rating: 4.2 out of 5
- Best for Close-up Shots – this Panasonic 4K video camera is good to use when you want to get shots of your subject at a distance. Getting closer to the subject is sometimes hard to do. That is where this video camera can help. Using its 60x zooming ability, it can shoot detailed images or videos no matter how far you are from the subject.
- Easy to Use – this 4K video camera is so easy to use. You can easily access and use all its features through the camera’s back and on its highly responsive 3-inch LCD touchscreen. The camera will also allow you to continue taking shots and videos while the battery is recharging.
- Great Lens and Sensor – with this 4K camcorder, you can do more f-stops and create footage with a 30-pixel quality using its 20-1200mm lens. Plus, it has an 18.1-megapixel sensor that guarantees the decent quality of footages and still photos.
- 60x zoom
- 3-inch LCD touchscreen
- In-camera charging
- Poor performance in lowlight shots
5. Best in On-the-Spot Editing: Panasonic HC-WXF991K
Editor’s Rating: 4.2 out of 5
- Unique Features – it’s a unique feature that you will enjoy in Panasonic HC-WXF991K. With this, you can edit the images and set them to 1080p when necessary. Besides, this 4K video camera comes with an electronic viewfinder that gives a clear, vivid view of your target.
- 20x Zooming Capability – with this feature, you can easily come up with clear and well-detailed close-up shots. Thanks to the camera’s 20x zooming capability. You can use its 5-axis image stabilizer that ensures your film is of the 4k standards.
- Easy-to-Use Controls – the switches and buttons are all easy to reach, making the entire operation simple. Also, the camera’s flip-out monitor offers you the bird’s eye view of your subject to help you take the best way to shot.
- Dual camera capability
- ½.3 BSI sensor
- WiFi connection function
- Require proper lighting to gain the best results
6. Best Quality: Panasonic HC-VX981K
Editor’s Rating: 4.2 out of 5
- Affordable 4K Professional Photography – Panasonic HC-VX981K is among the greatest 4K video cameras that you can get today at an affordable price. It features the 20x Leica Dicomar Lens coupled with Wi-Fi dual Video Camera, which are two amazing features that a good camcorder can provide.
- Ultra-HD Camcorder – moreover, the device allows you to record videos with the ultra-HD mode and in-camera editor for a 1080p display. The built-in editing features included in this unit are panning, cropping, zooming, as well as the subject monitoring stabilization. All these features will help you capture and produce quality images and videos without having to use any sophisticated software.
- HDR Mode – this feature will allow you to capture bright and detailed shots with good sharpening and detailing functions. ThWi-FiFi function is also making this camcorder highly competitive in different tasks such as remote shooting.
- 20x Optical Zoom
- Built-in editing features
- LEICA Dicomar Lens
- Average image stabilization
7. Best Overall: Panasonic AG-DVX200
Editor’s Rating: 4.1 out of 5
- Great Photo and Video Quality – this 4K video camera features an incorporated zoom lens and a four-third sensor. These features bring professional features and exceptional camcorder ergonomics into the micro four-third sensor setup. The unit also has a MOS sensor equipped with 4K resolution to capture a maximum of 12 stops of high dynamic range.
- Excellent Recording Capability – this 4K camera features DCI 4K footage recording at 24 fps, HD at 20 fps, and UHD 4K at 60 fps. All these 3 ensure that your videos are great enough.
- Fantastic Zooming and Recording – the camera’s zooming lens has 3 lens rings designed to provide manual control on zoom, aperture, and focus. It can also record 4K video to MOV or MP4 format. It also offers AVCHD recording with an HD resolution of 1920 x 1080p.
- Four-thirds sensor and incorporated zoom lens
- Good image stabilization
- Leica lens featuring 3x lens manual control rings
8. Best Valued: AiTechny 4K Video Camera
Editor’s Rating: 4.1 out of 5
- 48MP Resolution – go for this video camera if you are searching for an affordable camcorder with a hefty 48 MP resolution. Coupled with a 16x zooming capacity, this video camera is sure to shoot and record clear and crisp images and footage.
- 4K Resolution – it will also allow you to record a video with a resolution of 2880 x 2160 pixels at 24 fps.
- Ideal for Lowlight Photography – this video camera is also sure to perform well in lowlight conditions as it comes with a Night Vision Technology to help you get great shots even in the dark.
- Easy-to-use Touchscreen – the touchscreen display of this device will show you what you’re recording so that you can make some enhancements or revisions when needed. The screen display is wide enough as it measures 3 inches. It rotates to 270 degrees, ensuring that you can easily see what you’re doing at any angle.
- Night Vision
- Long Exterior Microphone
- Compatible witWi-FiFi and Webcam
- No autofocus
9. Best Heavy-Duty Camera: Kicteck Video Camera
Editor’s Rating: 4.0 out of 5
- Hassle-Free Operation – the touchscreen monitor of this 4K video camera is highly responsive. Just one tap using your fingertip is enough to have full control over your footage creation. The unit’s CD screen adjusts up to an angle of 260 degrees for easier viewing choices.
- Good Battery Life – in just an 8-hour full charge, you can enjoy up to 3-hour nonstop filming. However, the length of the period a 4K camera can work will depend on how you use it. When filming is over, you can instantly view the footage with a resolution of 2880 x 2160. This is not an issue, particularly if you use 24 frames/second filming speed.
- Nova Camera App – with this app, you can turn a smartphone into a remote control. This way, it is easier to create a video in dangerous or tight spaces.
- IR night vision
- IR cut filter
- Can connect tWi-FiFi
- No image stabilization
10. Best Semi-Pro Camcorder: Aabeloy Vlogging 4K Camcorder
Editor’s Rating: 4.2 out of 5
- Superb Shooting Quality – this camcorder is among the greatest 4K camcorders you can find in the market today. It can effectively shoot clear and exquisite photos with bright and vivid colors and good contrast.
- Good Zooming Capability – the unit can also modify the viewing angle with the zoom-in/out mode. For capturing a distant subject, this video camera will allow you to zoom for 16x without getting the images or videos blurred.
- 13MP CMOS Sensor – this feature helps the camera to increase image quality. Likewise, it can gain smooth color gradients and accurate and sharp details of the images together with high-resolution imaging. Night Vision is also available to allow you to use this video camcorder even in the lowlight scenarios.
- 13MP CMOS Sensor
- Supports Night Vision and Wi-Fi connectivity
- Can shoot while charging
- A bit expensive
Features to Consider When Purchasing a 4K Camcorder
When choosing a good 4K camcorder, you should consider the following features:
- Image Stabilizer – this feature minimizes the jerks and shakes to prevent blurry shots. It can come in two kinds: the electronic image stabilizer and optical image stabilizer.
- Flip-Out LCD Viewer – this is more common in the full-size video cameras. The screen size may range from 2 ½ inches to 4 inches. A camcorder can also have a touchscreen LCD.
- Full Auto Switch – this feature provides points and easy shooting. It adjusts the color balance, shutter speed, focus, and aperture for each shot.
- Auto Focus – it adjusts the maximum sharpness level. Camcorders also have manual focus designed for lowlight scenarios.
- Zoom – designed for broad view action and close-up shots.
- Optical Zoom – camcorders often have 10 to 50 times optical zooming ability.
- 3D Functions – it gives 3D images and videos through capturing 2 subjects at the same time while representing them from the left-and-right-eye perspective.
- Built-in Projector – this feature is more common in camcorders. Most models can project a 60-inch diagonal image.
- Electroviewfindernder – this feature will help you in composing a capture without the help of the displaWi-Fi
- WiFi Connectivity – this option helps you when transferring the photos and footages wirelessly to a computer, back it up on a hard drive or cloud, and upload them straight to your social media accounts. The latest video cameras even have the NFC or Near Field Communication that allows you to connect your camcorder with smartphones.
- Waterproof and Rugged Body – consider it to make sure of the greatest protection for moisture, water splash, and accidental drops and falls.
- 4k Resolution – this feature provides 4x more resolution compared to full-HD camcorders with a resolution of 1920 x 1080p.
How to Choose the Best 4K Camera Video for Your Needs?
#1. Consider the Features, Type, Weight, Size, and Control of a Video Camera
These are the most important things to consider when buying a camcorder. Whatever model or brand you choose, just make sure it is portable and lightweight, especially if the video camera will be used for travels and tours. Aside from its size and shape, you must also consider the features included, the kind and control elements of the device.
#2. Look at the LCD Display
Most of the 4k camcorders today have a 3-inch LCD on a diagonal, while others have a bigger screen. The more important thing about the LCD will be its performance and quality. In some cases, the LCD suffers from excessive glare, so it is difficult to use the camcorder outdoors under the bright sunlight.
#3. Consider the Camcorder’s Lighting Factor
Photographers are less likely to shoot an image under a bright light or low light condition. Experts say the lowlight shooting capability of a camcorder may vary from one model to another. Likewise, in terms of quality, most full-sized or 4K pro camcorders can capture decent quality videos under lowlight conditions. Take note as well the most 4K camcorders have performance settings that enhance the low light image and video quality.
#4. Don’t Forget the Audio Quality
As for recording footage, sound quality is a crucial factor to consider, too. The sound quality will depend on how and where the built-in mic has been equipped and how precisely it records the sound. A 4K camcorder has been recognized to offer great audio quality, unlike the action cams.
#5. Consider the Camcorder’s Recording Format
A recording format affects both the recording time and storage capacity. Many 4K camcorders have numerous recording formats and resolution options to select from. The higher the resolution and quality format you choose, the shorter recording time will be.
The winner of this round-up is Canon EOS M50. This 4K camcorder comes with excellent features that offer the best value for your hard-earned money or even more than that. Pay attention to its remarkable features. It is equipped with a 24.1 MP sensor, Digic 8 processor, and Dual Pixel CMOS AF. All of these features will guarantee the best quality for all your images and videos. Likewise, data transferring is so easy and hassle-free with this camcorder. Overall, this could be the ultimate camcorder that will never fail to impress and satisfy you.