Your computer already has a built-in sound – and that’s how you can hear it. Over time, your taste to music or sound changes, and you tend to hear sounds that are more intense and improved to give you a more immersive experience. Basically, you only need to know about an external sound card.
Computers don’t have the capability to pass music to our ears. It needs a sound card to produce and translate sound in the air. With external sound cards, all the upgrades we want for our computer’s sound would be possible and easier. It is fascinating, especially to music lovers out there.
Are you satisfied with the kind of sound level that your computers produce? Do you plan on upgrading it into a full home-theater audio solution? If so, you don’t have to spend many dollars in your pocket as there is already a product that would improve your computer or laptop’s sound. In this article, we’ve gathered 10 of our best picks external sound card review that you might want to consider for your computers.
10 Best External Sound Card Review in 2020
Let’s check out the 10 Best External Sound Card and understand its features to help you decide what fits you most.
Editor’s Rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars
Upgrade your average laptop sound with this 7.1 USB External Sound Card by StarTech. This sound card does not only offer you with excellent quality solution, but it could also turn your desktop or laptop into a Home Theater-Ready audio. It totally gives you a great USB audio setup as you’ve never experienced before.
It promotes a cost-saving solution that supports audio applications into your unit. It’s proven to be long-lasting as it works well without issue after how many years of use. The price is just on point, and you’re not going to regret it. This is backed with 2 years warranty, but this product delivers a reasonable service life to most users.
- Easy to use- It features every easy-to-use controls that help users right away when things go wrong
- Excellent sound quality – Your laptop’s current sound will instantly turn into a theater-ready sound
- Flexibility – It upgrades sound for theater, gaming, music, and even multi-media presentations
- Cost-saving – It truly provides a sound upgrade to your laptop or desktop without making you spend much
- Analog playback and recording
- External USB type of sound card
- Suitable for Windows XP and Vista systems
- With USB stereo audio adapter
- Contains analog and digital audio
The Sound BlasterX has always been alike with computer audio for years, and this G6 is the newest and more advanced than the previous ones. So if you’re a gamer and want to add some fun with the sounds, then you will enjoy this 7.1 virtual surround sound. It’s a headphone amplifier and an impressive 32-bit gaming DAC, thereby making it more than a match in the market.
It works well with PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS4, and PC. This external sound card also features a Dolby Digital volume, Sound Blaster’s 30-year legacy, and even Scout mode. You’ll totally be impressed with its performance and recommend to your fellow gamers.
- Impressive Sound – Since this external sound card is being supported by Dolby Digital, it’s surround sound just got improved
- Design – The sound card itself looks good and contains brilliant button layout
- Lightweight – It is not that heavy as it may look
- Built-in lights – The lights around the buttons will help you identify right away when it’s dark
- Contains sidetone volume control
- 7.1 Surround Sound
- Features Dolby Digital sound
- A discrete headphone amp
- 7 ounces weight
Editor’s Rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars
Good news to all the music lovers out there, as we give you the E10K external sound card to improve your laptop’s audio sound. You will get that sound experience you have wanted for your love of music. This sound card features a high-resolution headphone amp and great bass boost and low-pass filter.
It is a unit that you can automatically connect to your PC or laptop with the help of its micro USB connection, which could also provide the power. An all-in-one product that offers many connections. With its portable built, you can easily have it connected to other laptops without worry because of its durable aluminum shell cover. This is a total package, and you will surely treasure this for years and years of music-loving.
- Low noise floor – It is designed to minimize bass boost and unwanted noise
- Versatile connection – It can easily connect to any laptops, as well as headphones and any other destination
- Portable – It is very easy to carry and transfer from one laptop to another
- Affordable – The price is very reasonable, and the quality is excellent
- Features Bass boost
- Internal DAC chip of about PCM5102
- Low noise floor
- Handles files up to 24-bit, 96 kHz resolution
Editor’s Rating: 3.6 out of 5 stars
If you are planning to get your pc or laptop upgraded without spending too much, then this HISU 6 Channel external sound card will be one of your best choices. It features an external 5.1 Surround Sound Optical for your laptop, and it’s always compatible with Windows XP. It’s very affordable and worth the price, as the performance is truly promising and impressive. It’s definitely a good product for the money.
It sounds very good, and you will not expect that it works that well. Installation is just a piece of cake because of the instruction book that provides clear details. It also features a digital recording mode, and it receives audio streaming from the PC using USB interface standards. A good choice, and you’ll never regret it.
- Great for recordings – Even if it’s not that advanced, small recordings could be done perfectly
- Cheap and affordable – The price is only low compared to other sound cards. But despite its being cheap, it always gets the job done.
- Easy to install – You can just simply put the disk in your laptop and use setup to install
- Detailed instruction book – The manual or instruction book provides a detailed step by step process.
- USB audio controller
- Supports 32KBz, 44.1 kHz sampling rate
- 5.1 Surround sound
- Audio Sound card adapter
Editor’s Rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars
The GoXLR Mini by TC-Helicon is the major selling among all the external sound cards in the market today. Having this will encourage you to have total control over different audio devices while you enjoy streaming your PC or even gaming online. This is also designed for those online creators with ease and convenience.
It’s an awesome sound card to have because it comes in a tiny box packed with all the brilliant applications. It can guide and connect with all your PC audio channels as it integrates multiple USB audio devices in Windows. This sound card is an award-winning, that is perfect for any microphone. It’s a very good catch, by the way.
- 12 sound cards – It has multiple USB audio on your computer to make it easier for you to turn up your game volume without interrupting any programs
- Easy to use controls – You will not get confused by its buttons and controls because everything is in a detailed manner
- Quiet and powerful – It comes with ultra-low noise and powerful noise. It all depends on your mood
- All-in-one app – With its one app, you can customize the lighting, mute modes, audio routing together
- Controllable – The app lets you control and manipulate all desired settings
- Multiple USB audio devices
- Go live desktop
- Studio quality EQ
- 3 years warranty program
- Designed for online workflow
Editor’s Rating: 3.9 out of 5 stars
If you are just looking for something small and not too costly sound card upgrade to your laptop, then you might want to consider the budget basic Creative Sound BlasterX G1. It features everything that you’re looking for a sound card, and the impressing part is that it’s too small to have it all. But as they say, size doesn’t always matter.
You can freely change your old headphones to high-rated headphones with this Sound BlasterX. It gives you total control over your listening experience with authentic audio with lesser destructions. This sound card helps in enhancing your gaming skills without worry. Everything is good. You should give yourself a try and experience competitive gaming.
- Easy upgrade – This sound card instantly upgrades the performance of your headset and experience boost of listening and gaming experience
- Perfect accuracy and positioning – This product features support to 7.1 audio input signals
- Functionality – This sound card is powerful and even customizable for gameplay
- Easy to use – You will not be having a hard time using and controlling this because instructions for the usage is not complex
- 4 pole connectivity options
- Various Operating systems like MAC OS or Windows
- Up to 24-bit/ 96kHz audio fidelity
- Compatible to 2.0 and 3.0 USB platform
Editor’s Rating: 4.0 out of 5 stars
Try this spectacular sound card from HyperX to give your laptop the kind of upgrade it needs. It promotes convenience as it comes in clippable audio to keep your control close. The best thing about this is that it produces two sounds in just one card. These sounds are called the HyperX Amp Chat, and the other is the HyperX Amp Game. You can choose whatever sound you want to change if you want to try another.
The sound quality is good, especially if you chose the right output device. It’s a good catch actually, knowing that it’s cheap enough for the price. But when you happen to experience the performance, everything is great and impressive!
- Convenience – It promotes comfort as you can quickly control it like muting the mic or even adjust the audio and volume.
- Enhanced microphone – The microphone features noise-cancellation and upgrades audio
- Upgraded sound – This brings out more of the bass while keeping the sound balanced
- Two Sound device – Unlike the other sound card, this one offers two sound devices in the windows called Amp game and Amp chat
- Virtual 7.1 Surround sound
- Noise cancellation to microphones
- Audio upgrade for headset
- Compatible with PC or PS4
Editor’s Rating: 3.2 out of 5 stars
One of the best external sound cards in the market today is the FELYBY sound card. It highlights its multifunctional features because it can let you stream, sing, and record all you want. The quality of the sound is clearer and more stable, like it was being edited by a professional. It boasts its 8 sound effects and 3 amazing screen modes to maintain a live atmosphere.
It is compatible with PC, laptop, tablet, and more, and it also supports IOS and android systems that are relevant in our world today. Everything about this is excellent, and it is proven to be durable. You will experience a kind of quality sound like you’ve never experienced before. Grab this and witness the best results!
- Quality sound effects – It contains a lot of sound effects like electronic sound and scene sound effects
- Easy to use – You will not be having a hard time dealing with the buttons because it is diversified to satisfy many adjustments
- Contains many connection methods- Its supports many systems and its compatibility would give users ease in using
- Long-lasting battery – It has 1000 mah battery, so working time is long
- Rechargeable 1000 mah lithium battery
- Compatible to mobile phones, laptops, and PC
- 8 Sound effects
- 3 screen effects
Editor’s rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars
If you are searching for a sound card that comes in a USB audio controller, then the External Sound Card by Ebetter could be added up into your list. It is a 6 channel 5.1 sound card, and it assists the analog recording function very well, thereby producing sounds with quality.
You can also record and playback digital quickly, even without a built-in sound card. It works perfectly. And for the price, it’s a good bargain for anyone who wishes to improve their laptop or computer’s sound. This sound card is going to be a good catch. Experience great sounds and enjoy its never-ending best features.
- Provides better sound – When you get to hear the kind of music that this product produces, you will replace your old sound card with this one.
- Compatibility- This sound card supports Windows and Mac OS
- Easy to setup – This does not take time to install as it is equipped with clear instructions.
- Affordable – The quality is worth the price you paid
- Six-channel 5.1 Surround
- Optical Audio Sound Card
- PC and Laptop compatible
- Analog audio playback
- 48KHZ sampling rate
Editor’s Review: 4.1 out of 5 stars
If you are looking for a multifunctional external sound card, then The Phoinikas External Sound Card would be what you are looking for. This is an easy plug and play Sound Card where you can easily replace a defective sound card. It is very compatible with all known systems like Windows, Mac, and more.
It comes with so many sound effects that allow you to switch by “EQ”. To top it all off, since this sound card is multifunctional, it also has an audio chip with 6 ports that can be plugged in at the same time. There will be no additional adapters required. Everything you are looking for is just right in front of you. You’ll definitely get the kind of sound that you are looking for.
- Affordable – The price for the quality is always on point. It’s not that expensive, but when you use it, then it’s like having the expensive ones.
- Stable sounds – Since it’s compatible with any systems, then it can produce a different variety of sounds. It sounds with quality and class.
- Organized control keys – You will not be having a hard time dealing with the control keys because it’s just so easy to use.
- Contains multiple ports- It comes with 6 ports that can be plugged at the same time
- Compatible to Windows and Mac
- 4 Feet cable
- Contains 360-degree stereo sound
- 3 USB 2.0 ports; 3 3.5 mm ports
- Cool LED lights
Choosing the best sound card can be challenging for us, especially to those who only have little knowledge about it. There are some of the factors to consider if you want to buy the best external sound cards for your PC or laptop, and these are:
First and foremost, you must know your budget. There are a lot of external sound cards in the market at a reasonable price. However, there are also some that are quite expensive. With this, you only have to weigh things out. Do research some research about the best external sound card that fits your budget.
Surround sound support
When it comes to specs, the first thing that you must consider is the surround sound support. A better surround sound support allows you to link or connect for up to 5 speakers to your sound card. This can produce genuine 3D sound quality.
When choosing an external sound card, you must also see to it whether it’s compatible with your laptop or not. You must first check the motherboard of your computer if it has a slot for your external sound card. But nowadays, almost all sound cards are compatible with any computers or laptops, but you must still check it to avoid buying the wrong one.
You must also see to it the sample rate of the external sound card that you are buying. It is measured in kHz. It is recommended to get a sound card with high sample rates, and it must range from 44.1 kHz up to 192 kHz for better sound quality.
It is very easy to understand the audio channels on sound cards. It all depends on the kind of sound that you want. If you want a surround sound, then go for an external sound card that 2 channels. If you want a subwoofer, then 2.1 channels could be better. 5.1 channels if you want surround sound that is better than the normal. For the best surround sound experience, then go for 7.1 channels.
What are the Advantages of External Sound Card?
Aside from improving and giving a quality sound to your computer, the external sound card also has some other benefits that we might not know yet. These are:
- Care for the audio channels
The external sound card supports our computer’s audio channels to produce better surround sound in the speaker or in the headphones.
- Takes some load off in the CPU
The external sound card handles the sound processing in our computers. It helps the CPU to withstand some load and files that it contains because the sound card could also contain files.
- Protects against electric intervention
The external sound card protects electrical intervention from other components that could damage our computers.
- Accurate sound, audio, and bass
Over time, the built-in sounds of our laptops can get unclear. The external sound card can produce clearer sounds, as well as audio and bass.
External sound cards are a big help, especially for those who like music. It has a lot of benefits, not only for us but also for our computers. It’s also advisable to know the type of specs and features when you are planning to purchase an external sound card. You must also know your needs to avoid spending too much.
With all the best external sound card products mentioned above, the top-notch is the Sound BlasterX G6 External USB Sound Card. It was sellable in the market because even if it’s a newly launched product, many have already patronized it. The features and specs were on point, and the price is always right with regard to its service and quality.
In the end, it’s always your decision that matters. You must know everything, even just the basics before you jump into a decision. Investing in a sound card is one of the smartest moves you can do. At least now, you already have the idea on what to look for in the best external sound cards. You only need to find something that fits the standards, just like the Sound BlasterX G6 External Sound Card.