A computer CPU can overheat and cause detrimental damage to nearby components if the CPU case is not properly ventilated. Also, a poorly ventilated system can affect the speed and the overall performance of all the computer components even early on. This is the reason why computer techs use multiple fans to improve air circulation and temperature. And one way to control multiple fans and to immediately correct temperature problems is to use a computer fan controller.
A fan controller is designed to accurately control every fan in your system. Basic fan controllers allow you to fine-tune each fan using knobs and switches, whereas sophisticated ones have graphics displays that give you the temperature of your system and even touchscreen controls for each fan. Some controllers can handle four, six, or more fans while some have a limited number. There are also automatic controllers that can adjust the fans accurately should the temperature becomes too warm. A fan controller is a very efficient component in any computer system, and to help you shop for the best one, here are ten best to check out.
Best SilverStone Fan Hub System
Editor’s Rating: 4.4 out of 5
The SilverStone CPF04 System Cable is ideal for enthusiasts who require accurate control of multiple fans. It can expand a single motherboard fan to provide support for eight fans. It is powered by a SATA from the power supply and has a built-in 2208μF capacitor for a clean and stable voltage. Fans connected to this system can guarantee better performance.
You don’t need to individually control the fans because it comes with a speed detection sensor to control eight fans at the same time. Take note that speed detection, as well as PWM speed control, will only work when this is connected to a motherboard.
- Expands one motherboard PWM fan – from one port, you can install eight fans, one on each part of your system that’s susceptible to heat and wear. It is an efficient way to enhance your system for gaming, as well as for basic computing.
- Enhances fan performance – eight fans make a cool system, but you can reduce vibrations and reduce wear and tear when you can control the fan’s speed.
- With speed detection sensors – it has an automatic speed detection feature that raises or lowers the speeds of the fans when needed automatic speed detection feature that raises or lowers the speeds of the fans when needed.
- SATA cable compatible
- 2200μF capacitor
- With speed detection sensors
- Measures 2.1 x 0.8 x 1.6 inches
- Weighs just 1.6 ounces
Best Touch Screen Cooling Fan Controller
Editor’s Rating: 4 out of 5
One of the most stunning fan controllers is the Thermaltake Commander FT. This is a touchscreen controller with a 5.5″ display that will tell you exactly the temperature of your system. It is a 5-channel fan that accommodates 10 watts of power per channel. You can immediately see what’s going on from the touchscreen panel and adjust each fan accurately as well. The display also informs you of the temperature of your system as well as the speed of each fan. With all this information, you can adjust the system accordingly.
The Thermaltake Commander FT has a 3-pin and 4-pin connector and will fit standard 5.25″ bays. It comes with all the needed cables so you can connect all five fans with ease. It also comes with a silent mode and other performance modes; it can automatically adjust all the fans to the best speeds to achieve the most efficient airflow.
- Large, touchscreen display – the large LCD display is bright and vibrant, so you can easily check the temperature and fan speeds and to make adjustments right away. From the display, you can fine-tune speeds for each fan and thus enhance your system’s efficiency.
- Will fit a standard 5.25″ CPU bay – this controller will sit comfortably at the front of your CPU where you can easily access the controls and monitor fan speeds and system temp.
- With different performance modes – you can choose from different preset modes. From auto mode to silent mode, you’ll quickly set your fan’s speeds and correct temperature readings ASAP.
- 5.5″ touchscreen display
- 5-channel controller
- Provides 10 watts per channel
- With 3-pin and 4-pin connectors
- With different performance modes and silent mode
- Measures 6.7 x 2.4 x 4.4 inches
- Weighs 11.8 ounces
Best AeroCool Touchscreen Fan Controller
Editor’s Rating: 4.4 out of 5
The AeroCool Touchscreen computer fan controller will help you control four sets of CPU fans. These fans will be controlled individually with 20W for every channel. This touchscreen controller looks sleek and stylish with 7 LED-backlit colors to choose from, or you can turn off the backlight feature.
Aside from controlling fan speeds, there is also individual power on and off switches per channel. It is also designed to fit most CPU bays and be a seamless part of your CPU case. This controller comes with the cables you need to connect your PC fans so you can start installation the moment you take it home.
- You can control four sets of fans – this controller will help you control four sets of fans in an instant. You can reduce the speed of one to reduce vibrations or to increase the speed of other fans to efficiently reduce dust and enhance interior temperatures.
- With cool LED backlight – the LED backlight is customizable and is perfect for checking the status of your fans and for monitoring temp readings.
- Individual power on and off switch – you can power on or shut down any fan according to your needs.
- Control four fans at 20W per channel
- With 3-speed settings (low, medium and high)
- Individual power on and off controls
- Touchscreen controls
- 7 different color backlit settings
- 4 three-pin connectors
- Made from ABS plastic
- Measures 7.5 x 2.5 x 4.3 inches
- Weighs 6.4 ounces
Best Phanteks Fan Hub Controller
Editor’s Rating: 4.2 out of 5
The Phanteks Fan Hub Controller is a six-channel fan controller with a fan splitter (2x PH-CB-Y3P). You can connect up to 11 fans, but you will need additional splitters to do this. It can connect multiple fans while taking only one 4-pin header on the fan hub of your motherboard.
Your CPU chassis is clean, as multiple fans can mobilize dust out of the chassis body. Also, the fan controller hub has pre-drilled mounting holes that are compatible with Enthoo PC cases, or you may use the Velcro strips if you have a regular-type chassis. And you can tell that the controller is powered on when the Phanteks logo is lit.
- Can control up to 11 fans – this small but terrible controller can take as many as 11 fans with separate controls for each fan.
- Keeps chassis clean – with this many fans, your inner chassis will be clean and well-ventilated.
- Easy to install – this fan hub controller comes with all the accessories you need for easy and fast installation. It does not require software or downloadable installers for installation as well.
- 1 x 4-pin header to 11 fans
- With pre-drilled holes for easy mounting and installation
- Best for Enthoo cases
- With Velcro strips
- Measures 3.9 x 5.5 x 1 inches
- Weighs 0.32 ounces
Best Fan Speed Controller from Zalman
Editor’s Rating: 3.8 out of 5
The Zalman Fan Speed Controller is completely adjustable and perfect for bringing fan speeds down. This will help keep systems quiet as fans at full speeds can create too much noise and vibrations. With this controller, you can fine-tune speeds, just the right speed to keep the system cool. This controller is easy to use, comes with a 3-pin connector, and allows 6W or lower wattage per fan.
- Compact design – this is one of the most compact fan controllers with a design that will match almost all computers or PCs.
- Precisely controls fan speeds – you can control speeds to the T; precise control of each fan will make sure that temperatures are improved, and dust is efficiently controlled inside the chassis as well.
- Comes with connector wires – you don’t need to buy cables to connect this controller as it comes with all the things you need to install it right away.
- 5V ~ 11V +/- 2% output voltage
- 6W or lower allowable wattage
- 3-pin connector
- Measures 2.8 x 1 x 1 inches
- Weighs 1.44 ounces
Best Aerocool Fan and Temperature Controller
Editor’s Rating: 3.6 out of 5
The Aerocool Fan and Temperature Controller can handle up to 4 sets of fans, allowing you to fine-tune speeds and temperatures using its smart touchscreen LCD. To make adjustments and to monitor easy, this controller displays like a speedometer. You’ll get fan speed readings on one side of the screen while the other side has temperature readings. This display lets you accurately check on the status of your fans, check for any failure and correct temperature inside the chassis early on.
The Aerocool controller also comes with an overheat alarm warning so you can correct fan speeds right away. It can also display temperatures in Celsius or Fahrenheit, and you can power off the LCD display as the fans continue to run, and the system monitors temperature. Fans will get up to 6W per channel. All you need for fast and easy installation are included in your purchase.
- Fan status in speedometer style – this is one of the best displays by far! If you drive, then you’re used to reading a speedometer, and this controller is read exactly like a speedometer, only it tells you the temperature and the speeds for each fan.
- Fine-tune fan speeds and temperature – you can fine-tune your fan speeds to control vibrations and the intake of air that can result in the dust. Also, an efficient system will help you check out the temperature precisely and to make adjustments faster.
- With an overheat warning – you’ll get a warning when your system’s temperature reaches a peak reading. With this warning, you can immediately correct temperature by adjusting fan speeds in different vital areas of your system.
- Controls four sets of fans at 6 watts per channel
- With touchscreen LCD
- Overheat alarm warning
- Temperature readings in Celsius or Fahrenheit
- LCD size 115 x 57 mm
- Four 3-pin connectors and four heat sensors
- Steel bracket, ABS front bezel
- Comes with screws, extra Thermal sensors, fan extension cables, and thermal sensor tapes
- Measures 8.4 x 6.7 x 3.5 inches
- Weighs 1.19 pounds
Best LED Fan Controller
Editor’s Rating: 3.7 out of 5
The Kingwin FPX – 001 fan controller is a four-channel controller with a simple setup and LEDs. You can control up to four sets of fans with independent controls. Just turn the knob that controls the set you want to adjust to improve cooling and temperature inside the CPU chassis.
The LED indicators for the different knobs are too bright, but this will tell you if the set is on or off. It is connected using 3 pin fan connectors and is easy to set up and install. This controller is just the right size to fit a standard CPU bay.
- Easy controls – no complicated controls, only flashy dials. You can tell if the fan is on or off because of the LED lights. The dials will let you adjust fan speeds to low, medium, and high.
- LED indicators – the LED lights tell you if the fan is on or off. It will light up when a fan is on and turn off when the fan is off.
- Easy to install to your PC – this connects to your fans and to your motherboard with no additional software or installer needed. Everything you need is in the box.
- LEDs power on and off indicators
- For 4 sets of PC fans
- Uses 3-pin fan connections
- Compatible with 3.5-inch CPU bays
- Turn knob controllers
- Measures 3.7 x 4 x 1 inches
- Weighs 4.6 ounces
Best NZXT Touch Screen Fan Controller
Editor’s Rating: 4.1 out of 5
The NZXT Sentry 3 is a touchscreen fan controller that uses 3-pin and 4-pin connectors. It can accommodate five fan channels with individual controls at 15W each. The screen is huge at 5.4,” and this is where you can monitor fan speeds and the temperature of your system. You can control the fans individually or shut them off using the PowerSlide bar.
With this controller, you can reduce noise and vibrations easily for optimum CPU performance. This is also the only fan controller that uses short circuit, overvoltage, and under-voltage protection to keep your system safer. It looks stylish and sleek, and it’s also easy to install.
- Large and colorful touch screen – the large and colorful screen will help you check the status of your fans and to make adjustments right away. The screen is vibrant and can be controlled with an easy finger swipe motion.
- PowerSlide bar controls – the controls are worked differently as you only need to slide it to correct fan speeds.
- Control different sets of fans individually – you can correct temperatures in different areas of your CPU with every set of fans. You can control speeds independently, or you can shut fans that are not used to save power.
- Supports five sets of CPU fans
- 15 watts power per channel
- 5.4″ touch screen with Power Slide Bar
- 3-pin and 4-pin connectors
- With connectors and temperature sensor that’s included in your purchase
- With over-volt, under-volt and short protection
- Measures 6.89 x 2.4 x 3.1 inches
- Weighs 8.3 ounces
Best Fan and Temperature Controller with USB 2.0 and Ports
Editor’s Rating: 3.6 out of 5
The Aerocool Fan and Temperature Controller is not just a device that monitors temperature and controls fan speeds, but it also comes with usable ports. It is a touchscreen that fits on two 5.25″ bays of your CPU. It can monitor and control four sets of temperature and fan speeds.
With this controller, you can switch from a Celsius to Fahrenheit readings. And you will hear an overheating alarm or temperature warning so you can correct temperatures ASAP.
This touch control display gives you information about the speeds of the fans and the temperature in various areas of the CPU chassis. And to enhance connectivity, you can also use the different ports at the bottom of the display: 2 USB 2.0 ports, an eSATA, audio port, and microphone ports. This comes with all the accessories you need to install it to your CPU as soon as you take it home.
- With large LCD – this comes with a large and informative LCD screen that tells you the speed of each fan and the temperature of the different area of the CPU.
- Can monitor and control four sets of fans – you can monitor and correct temp of various areas of the CPU with this controller. Monitoring is easy as everything you need to make precise adjustments is found on the LCD screen.
- With additional ports – you can use the ports to connect different devices and additional peripherals too. You can connect a headset, microphone, and a mobile phone or any USB or eSATA compatible device.
- Easy to install – this controller is easy to install, and it fits in any of your computer chassis front bay for easy access, and fan speeds correction.
- Control 4 sets of fans – 6 watts per channel
- Touchscreen controls
- Control for fan speeds and temperature
- With overheat alarm settings
- LCD can be turned on or off while fans are running
- With additional ports like two USB, one eSATA, audio port, and microphone port
- Comes with screws, extra thermal sensor tapes, and extension cables
- Measures 149.5 x 85 x 70 mm
- Will accommodate 2 x 5.25″
Best CPU Fan Speed Controller from YueYueZou
Editor’s Rating: 3.4 out of 5
The YueYueZou CPU fan controller is a four-channel controller that can control 4 fans simultaneously. The voltage of fan 1 to 4 is from 6V to 12V. This comes with a stylish housing equipped with a very bright blue LED. It comes with accessories you need to install this fan controller in your system right away.
- With individual fan controls – the fans connected to this controller may be fine-tuned individually. The controls are analog switches and can place the fans in low, medium, or high speeds.
- With bright LED lighting – the bright LED for each knob tells you if the switch is powered on or not. The bright LED light reaches even the back of the room, and thus, you can easily check the status of your fans with ease.
- Ready to use – this controller is easy to use, and all you need to do is to install it. Installation is also quick and easy, as you don’t need to use software or an installer to do so.
- Controls four fans with control knobs
- The voltage from 6 to 12V
- Four-channel fan controls
- With bright LED
- Measures 3.86 x 3.66” x 0.75”
- Weighs 130 grams
- Fits 3.5″ size drive bay
What to check out when buying a fan controller?
- Choose a controller that will monitor the temperature
There are basic fan controllers with just the knobs and lights to control fan speeds with simple low, medium, and high speeds; it’s best if you have a fan controller with a temperature gauge so you can adjust your fan settings right away.
- Touchscreen or standard controls
This may depend on your preference. Standard, analog controls simply switch fans to low, medium, or high settings, whereas digital or touchscreen controls can fine-tune your fans’ speed settings down to the last RPM. A digital controller will keep different areas of your CPU chassis well ventilated.
- How many fans do you want to set up
As mentioned, fan controllers come in simple setups that support only one or two fans while some can accommodate four, five, or more fans.
- Additional ports and hubs
Some fan controllers are equipped with extra ports to expand your PC’s connectivity. Like the Aerocool Fan and Temperature Controller (number 9 on our list), this comes with extra USB ports, eSATA port, and an audio and mic port.
- How does a fan controller work?
Fan controllers work by connecting the CPU fans to the different controller ports. Most regular controllers can take 4 sets of fans and individually control these fans. When the fans are properly connected to the controller, the fan speeds may be decreased or increased to adjust the temperature inside the chassis. Controllers are connected to temperature strips and are placed in various areas inside the chassis for accurate monitoring.
- How many fans can a fan controller handle?
This depends on the type of fan controller. Simple controllers can take only one computer fan while some can take four, five, or even eight or more fans. Also, most controllers are able to fine tune each fan to your convenience.
- How to install a fan controller?
Each fan controller has their own installation guidelines. You must follow these instructions and make sure that you have all the materials needed for installation as well.
Based on our list of the best fan controllers, the SilverStone CPF04 System Cable is the top fan controller because of many reasons. First, it provides accurate control of multiple fans as it can expand a single motherboard fan to support eight fans. It is safe to use with a built-in 2208μF capacitor for a stable voltage and better performance.
This controller also has speed detection sensors to control all the eight fans at the same time. It’s easy to set up and won’t require hardware to work. We recommend this to anyone who would like to improve the efficiency of their computer systems. And if you think that the SilverStone CPF04 System Cable fan controller is for you, check this out from this link.