Do you have a drive-in your computer that does not work anymore? Do you want to provide safety and security to the external hard drives that you use? If you answered yes, you are in for a treat. The solution to your problems is very simple: hard drive enclosures.
These items help you manage important files and data that you regularly need, as well as optimizing the entire transfer process for efficient activities.
In this article, we will present to you the 10 of the best hard drive enclosures that you can choose from in the market.
1) ineo 2.5″ USB 3.1 Gen2 Type C Rugged Waterproof Shockproof External Hard Drive Enclosure
Editor’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars – BEST FOR USB-C CABLE
- Compatible with PS4, XBOX ONE, different PC operating systems (Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, Mac OS or above
- USB 3.1 Generation 2 with 10 Gbps external enclosure
- Waterproof and shockproof
- Upgraded compact silicon frame and aluminum cover
- Compatible with SATA 2.5 inch hard drives
First on our list is this innovative drive enclosure from Ineo. As USB-C connections are becoming more common nowadays – starting from smartphones to laptops, and are now slowly appearing in modern desktop chassis as well. Unfortunately, most hard drive enclosures still feature the old USB-A format.
Do not worry about this, though, this Ineo 2.5 inch enclosure comes with USB-C 3.1 connection, but it also has an extremely amazing protective chassis as well. With a decent shockproof and waterproof function, this upgraded device is perfect for people who are looking for much more secure and better protection for their SSDs and 2.5 inch hard drives.
This accessory is able to hold the cables much tighter. It is IP66-rated, and it is also MIL-STD certified to rid of durability concerns you may have in your mind.
2) SSK Aluminum USB3.0 to SATA 2.5″ External Hard Drive Enclosure Adapter, Ultra Slim Hard Disk Case housing
Editor’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
- Fast USB 3.0 UASP Protocol – 70% faster than traditional USB 3.0
- Easy to install – Support hot-swap, plug and play, no reboot needed
- Aluminum material with ultra-slim design
- Great compatibility – works well with Linux, OS, MAC, and Windows
- Designed for 2.5 inch SATA HDD and SDD up to 10 TB maximum
This hard drive enclosure manufactured by SSK can be an amazing addition to your computing set. This is backed up by UASP expedited synchromesh etiquette, which makes it 70 percent quicker than the regular transmission speed of USB 3.0. The transfer rate is about 5 GBs per second.
This hard drive enclosure is ideal for securing your 2.5 inch HDD, and SDD hard drive. It will give you so much comprehensive accessibility of use and multi-functioning of digital data accommodation.
This device also offers great portability because of how convenient it is to use this and transport things. It does not require any driver – you just have to plug and play. It also comes with an intelligent power saving mode, which means that after 4 minutes without operation, it will go into sleep immediately.
3) Mediasonic USB 3.1 4 Bay 3.5″ SATA Hard Drive Enclosure
Editor’s Rating: 4 out of 5 stars – BEST FOR MULTIPLE DRIVES
- Smart Fan Function
- Built-in temperature sensor to control the fan speed
- Support UASP and SMART
- USB 3.1 Gen 2 10 Gbps fast and reliable data transfer speed
- Reversible USB Type C connection
- E-Mark IC embedded
This Mediasonic USB 3.1 takes another spot in our top 10 hard drive enclosure list. If you have more than a single hard drive for your storage needs, an enclosure like this that can support multiple drives is the big one that you can go for. This unit can support 4 drives with individual bays, and it is suited for 3.5-inch drives.
This enclosure allows the memory of about 16 TB per drive, which is perfect for a total of 64 TB of storage space. The Mediasonic also promises speed in file transfers because of the USB-C 3.1 that can go as fast as 10 Gbps. You do not have to fear on the files being stuck on the drives and having to wait for hours to copy simple files.
There’s no need to worry about installation – as it comes with a quick-slot mechanism for quick synchronization, between the enclosure and your computer.
4) Acomdata USB 2.0 3.5-Inch SATA Hard Disk Enclosure HDEUSE-504
Editor’s Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars – MOST AFFORDABLE OPTION
- Hard Drive enclosure takes a SATA hard disk Hi-Speed USB 2.0 48-bit
- Sleek and slim design
- Fanless Operation
- Compatible with 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM
- Easy to install and set up
If you are looking for a compact unit, this Acomdata product might be the one you need. You can use it to transmute your 3.5-inch hard disk drive so that you have an excellent performing external data accommodation and backup system.
This hard drive enclosure features a strong and durable aluminum alloy casing, which ensures a long life duration. It can be set up in a regular or perpendicular arrangement, which would allow you to adjust your computer set up anywhere. This operation set up will have less heat and radiation, which is basically why there is no need for installing a fan.
It also has a strong skeleton design, which will make the installation of a hard drive spontaneous and instantaneous. The LED indication system does not also incur any form of damage. It can also be kept anywhere as there is no sound of operation, and it is also compact, too.
5) Rosewill 3.5 Inch Hard Drive Enclosure to USB 3.0 / eSATA
Editor’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars – BEST COOLING ENCLOSURE
- 12 V Power Adapter included
- Built-in cooling fan with a dedicated fan switch switch
- 3.5 inch hard drive enclosure with an aluminum body
- USB 3.0 port and eSATA port for data transfer
- Up to 6 TB data capacity
If you are the type of owner who worries about whether your hard drive will properly survive in its new home, you can opt for getting this Rosewill model as it comes with an active cooling fan. This fan will make it much safer to ensure that the hard drive will not overheat and remain at the best-operating temperatures at all times.
Technically, hard drives do not really encounter overheating, unless you fail to provide them with ample breathing room. But, having an active cooling fan is an efficient precaution to make sure that this will not happen at all.
This Rosewill enclosure is your best bet if you are looking for a model with a built-in fan. It has the overall capacity to support 3.5 inch hard drives that are up to 6 TB in capacity, and it has outputs to both USB 3.0 and eSATA in order to support faster data faster. It might be a little expensive compared to other models on the list, but it offers an extra value point anyway.
6) AmazonBasics 2.5-inches SATA HDD or SSD Hard Drive Enclosure – USB 3.0
Editor’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars – VALUE FOR MONEY
- LED light indicator of power and activity
- Easy to install plug and play model
- Compatible with Windows and Mac OS
- Backed up with an AmazonBasics limited one-year warranty
- Superfast USB 3.0 UASP Protocol
- Smooth inner surface to protect against scratches
Transform your Serial ATA hard disk drive or SSD to a portable and sleek external hard drive by purchasing this simple yet powerful Amazon Basics 2.5 inch SATA Hard Drive enclosure. This has an individually powered USB with light indicators so that you can easily monitor and designation various processes.
With the usage of USB 3.0, the transfer speeds are up to 5 Gbps to ease everything in. For multi-functioning, this enclosure is also easily swappable. It also is designed in a way that it is no longer required to use screws or tools to fit the SDD or HDD inside.
7) Inateck 3.5 Inch HDD Enclosure, USB 3.0 Mesh Case, Support UASP, SA01003
Editor’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars – BEST 3.5 INCH ENCLOSURE
- Plug and play with no additional drivers needed
- Supports different kinds of 3.5 inch hard drives up to 10 TB capacity
- Mesh metal shell design to dissipate heat efficiently
- 12V/12A power adapter
- Universal compatibility equipped
Next on our list is perfect for those who have a 3.5-inch hard drive. First off, it is important to know that they have different requirements compared to the 2.5 inch hard drive. They need more power and more space compared to the other one. A major factor that this can entail is a chance of heat build-up.
This hard drive enclosure can accommodate drives that amount to 10 TB in the 3.5-inch size. It has the external power cable means that it can power them as well. Another great feature of this enclosure is that it helps you in preventing overheating. One side of this enclosure is filled with mesh, and it helps the circulation of air to help to cool the entire drive. With this, there is no need to worry about the noise of a fan as well as the possibility of failure of a fan.
8) Sisun 2.5″ / 3.5″ IDE SATA HDD Docking Station +Card Reader Hub
Editor’s Rating: 4 out of 5 stars – BEST MULTIFUNCTIONAL
- Supports all 2.5 inches and 3.5 inch IDE, SATA I, SATA II, SATA III hard disks and SSD
- Capacity for up to 8 TB
- Integrated all-in-1 card reader
- Comes with a LED indicator
- Compatible with Linus, MAC OS, and Windows
This external drive enclosure from SISUN is one of the most versatile and multifunctional on our list. It can support IDEs up to 2 TBs and SATA up to 8 TBs. You can actually convey data from hard drive to your computer through an eSATA port and USB 2.0.
It can integrate an all-in-1 card reader, and it starts simply required to be plugged and play. This enclosure is very easy to swap so you can change the connections much efficiently, and LED indicators are also there to help you be informed about the statuses.
Before using the 3.5 inches IDE hard drive, it is recommended that you accommodate four-pin power pushbuttons. There is no need for any driver installation in order to use the enclosure. But, there is no cloning ability, so that you can assure that you maintain backing up regularly.
9) ORICO USB3.0 to SATA III 2.5″ External Hard Drive Enclosure
Editor’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars – BEST BUDGET OPTION
- Comes with SuperSpeed USB 3.0 with UASP, which is 10 times faster than USB 2.0
- Tool-free installation, and plug and play
- Equipped soft EVA foams on the inner sides
- Metal-like brushed casing, ABS material, which is designed to be a great addition to a dress
- Capacity maximum of up to 4 TB
Next on our list is an enclosure from ORICO Technologies, which is one of the global leaders of digital accessories and computer peripherals. With this brand, the focus is on raising the bar and making life easier for the users.
It is a 2.5-inch hard drive enclosure that might not be overflowing with unique features, but it is extremely affordable, and it is extremely easy to install new drives in. With this mechanism that does not require any tools, they equipped it with a sliding contraption for easier access. It also has a built-in anti-shock pad, and it comes with a brushed aluminum casing.
Aside from looking really good, it also offers lots of protection for your hard drive. It is specifically limited to 2.5 inch hard drives and SSDs, so your 3.5 inch hard drives will not be able to use it.
10) ADATA ED600 USB3.1 Tool-Free Easy Swap IP54 Waterproof Shockproof Dustproof 2.5inch SSD and Hard Drive Enclosure
Editor’s Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars – GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Free Amazon Tech Support
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Shock-resistant silicone rubber to protect from accidental drops
- Tool-free and easy swap between 2.5 SDD and HDD
- IP 54 Water and Dust-proof
Last but not least, on our list is the ADATA ED600 External Enclosure. This is a durable and sturdy enclosure that provides absolute protection through an impact-resistant silicone rubber lining design and an IP 54 water & dust resistance that protects 2.5-inch models of HDD and SSD.
This enclosure is very cooperative with PC, laptops, and most video game consoles. Assembly and installation would be a breeze because this item does not require any tools, and it can be operated even by beginners.
For a quick data transfer, this accessory utilizes USB 3.1, and the rate is about 5 Gbps.
Hard Drive Enclosures Buying Guide
Hard drive enclosures have unique features, and sometimes it can be confusing to weigh their qualities and finalize which one to buy. Some important features that should be at the top of your list are:
- Material – What is the enclosure made from? Some hard drives are made of aluminum, metals, and plastic. It is important to consider getting one that will be able to handle the high voltage and the heating that your hard drive will go through. An enclosure must be able to dissipate heat easily and cool down immediately.
- Price – Enclosures vary in their prices. This is mainly because of the differences in their make, their abilities, and their distinct features. Some simple and straightforward ones are very affordable, while some who have more to offer are generally more expensive.
- Compatibility – Hard drive enclosures vary with how much they can deliver. It is important to check whether the enclosure that you will purchase is compatible with your laptop, desktop, or gaming console. Of course, the best option would still be to go for the model that is versatile and is universally compatible.
- Energy Consumption – The better device to go for is the one that burns through lesser energy consumption. You can search for devices that come with an auto-sleep feature so that you will save energy when there is inactivity.
In this article, we shared with you the beauty of a hard drive enclosure as a computing innovation. Understanding which external hard drive you should go for works hand in hand with diving deeper to learn more about the features of the product and to connect them with your actual needs. You should make sure that the item you will purchase will be able to meet your work and activity demands. Our final recommendation for a simple home office set up is the ORICO External Hard Drive because it is simple, straightforward, has extensive device compatibility, and offers a sleek design at a very affordable price.