In-ceiling speakers may not be considered as a “need” to some people. However, for those who love to listen to music, or enjoy a nice entertainment system at home, this is a must. With the reduction in material and production costs, along with the continuous advancement in the field of audio technology, in-ceiling speakers are no longer just for those who can afford it.
Perhaps you only have a limited area for your floor space, or perhaps you may want to minimalize and declutter by getting rid of bulky speakers and messy wiring. You may want to extend the reach of your sound to other parts of your house, even to covered outdoor areas. Regardless of your reason to get one, having an in-ceiling speaker is, no doubt, an advantage.
With the mentioned advancements in technology, a number of options are available, making it quite difficult to make a decision. To help you make a wise purchasing decision, we have listed the top 10 best in-ceiling speakers that are currently available on the market. We will also let you know about the primary factors that need to be taken into consideration when getting an in-ceiling speaker.
Reviews for the Best In-Ceiling Speakers in 2020
- Micca M-8C 2-Way In-Ceiling In-Wall Speaker – Best Value for Your Money
- The Micca M-8C in-ceiling speaker is among the lowest priced speakers out there, though it comes only as a single piece speaker. With this, it is designed to produce a quality stereo sound from a single speaker. It is part of the manufacturer’s range and is also best used together with other speakers in order to accommodate the best tonal range.
- Even though it comes as a single unit, it does not mean that it can no longer be used as a pair. It features an 8-inch woofer, while its 1-inch tweeter produces a vibrant and full-bodied sound. Lower frequencies and subtle soundscapes combine together in perfect harmony.
- The design of this speaker is minimalist, and it comes with a detachable grille that can be painted with the same color as your ceiling, allowing it to blend in well. Its 1-inch tweeter may also be pivoted in order to project sound in the direction desired.
- Klipsch CDT-5650-C II – Cutting Edge Audio Technology
- This speaker is among the models in the higher-end of the price range. It is a single speaker which may be pricey, but not overpriced. Along with its price is the use of cutting edge audio technology which produces an amazingly textured sound.
- It features a 6.5-inch metal and ceramic woofer, thus providing a bass that punches right beyond its weight. It also has the capacity to pivot 15 degrees in any direction. Its 1-inch titanium tweeters are also loaded, utilizing the Controlled Dispersion Technology, which spreads and elevates the quality of music to all room corners.
- In terms of construction, this speaker is built using high-quality materials. Thus, you can anticipate years of use from this model. The installation is quite easy, while its slim design provides the assurance that you can install it in most locations without much hassle.
- Polk Audio RC80i – Best Outdoor In-Ceiling Speakers
- This amazing set of in-ceiling speakers offers an 8-inch dynamic balance cone woofer, combined with a 1-inch dome tweeter, which results in a balanced range of sound. It also features a swivel mount that enables you to easily angle the sound projection up to 15 degrees in any direction.
- In terms of construction, this speaker is made out of durable materials while giving priority to moisture resistance. This means that it can be used in kitchens, bathrooms, and saunas without any problem at all.
- It can also be used in outdoor patio usage without the need to be directly exposed to the harmful elements of the environment. As such, they are also considered as one of the best outdoor in-ceiling speakers available.
- The manufacturer of this speaker has created a minimalist and refined design, which means that it can easily complement any décor inside our outside of your home. With a paintable grille, the speakers can become invisible in no time.
- Pyle In-Ceiling Midbass Speakers – Best Budget Option
- These in-ceiling speakers are available at a size of 6.5 inches. It is a decent and versatile pair that provides streaming on Bluetooth technology. This feature allows connectivity to any device, ensuring a nice touch in this modern world.
- This speaker is amazing in the volume department producing an impressive 300W of ultimate power, staying relatively free of distortion.
- The mid-range and treble frequency ranges, and are reproduced nicely with a good reputation of detail and nuance. It can also be partnered with a more powerful woofer, thus doing their job really well.
- Installing these speakers is easy. After cutting the appropriately sized hole and connecting the wires, the clamp mounts will easily hold the speakers right in place.
- The addition of a magnetic grille adds to the aesthetic appeal of this speaker. At the same time, it also allows for easy access to its adjustable 1/2 inch tweeter, thus ensuring an increased directional control of its sound quality.
- Yamaha NS-IW280CWH – Best 3-Way In-Ceiling Speakers
- This Yamaha in-ceiling speakers come in a 3-way pair set. Despite coming in a pair, they feature separate drivers for mids, bass, and treble frequencies. Its 6.5-inch cone woofer that offers a dependable punchy bass which does not turn out to be overbearing.
- Trebles and mid-ranges are handled with its ¾-inch tweeters that feature directional capabilities made possible by its use of a swivel mount. This speaker also comes with a woofer that is angled permanently at 12 degrees, which means that an allowance has to be made during placement and installation.
- With its mid-range tweeter, some layers of music subtlety are brought to the front enabling the vocal tracks and individual instruments to get the spotlight.
- As expected from Yamaha speakers, the quality of the build is durable enough. It also features a detachable grille that can be painted, aiding with its camouflage. It also features a design that is stylish enough without being unobtrusive.
- While it may be a bit more expensive than combining other models together, but you can expect a good value for your money. As such, it is a worthy competitor.
- Acoustic Audio CS-IC83 – Premium Sound Quality in a Small Package
- This amazing 5-piece set may be a bulk buy option for you to consider, but they can offer a 3-way class system setup. Every speaker comes with one 8-inch woofer, one tweeter, one midrange driver, and a 3-way passive crossover circuitry.
- This speakers feature woofers with a high-grade butyl surround system for dampening. It also comes with a cone that is made out of rigid polypropylene. Its mid-range driver cones are also constructed with Poly-Mica, while its 13 tweeters feature a soft-dome design that meets the demands of some high-frequency registers.
- These speakers handle quite beautifully, producing a well-balanced audio quality. They are very easy to mount in your ceiling. The best part is that they come with amazing power handling capabilities of up to 20-350 watts per speaker.
- Among the reasons why this amazing bulk pack is worth your attention is that they provide premium sound quality even in a small package.
- Bose Virtually Invisible 791-II – Best Invisible In-Ceiling Speakers
- The 791 II speakers from Bose are virtually invisible, as suggested by the name. This pair disappears into the ceiling upon installation. One of its strongest points has something to do with design. This pair comes in white color, fitting the ceiling, featuring an almost bezel-less construction, allowing them to blend in easily.
- It features grilles that are paintable, and also attached magnetically, making them easy to remove. At the same time, they also come with included templates, making the speakers very easy to install.
- When it comes to sound performance, these speakers feature a 7-inch woofer, along with two 1-inch tweeters that offer crystal clear audio that emphasizes in the mid-range. Bass enthusiasts will also appreciate the presence of subwoofers in these speakers.
- They are often sold as a pair and are ideal for those who want their speakers to virtually disappear and are low-profile.
- AmazonBasics 6.5″ Ceiling Speakers – Straightforward Function
- These speakers from AmazonBasics come in a straightforward style and design. They are available at the lower end of the price scale. Its 6.5-inch composite woofer, along with a 1-inch tweeter ring that reproduces a good sound.
- In terms of performance, the frequency range may sound a bit underwhelming, and the mid-ranges were fine enough.
- It is easy to install and pretty straightforward to install. Since it comes in a simple design, it will easily mold in to any décor that you have at home, especially when the grill is already painted. It is not just fundamentally exciting but functional at the same time.
- If you are looking for an in-ceiling speaker that combine together low price, ease of installation, and unobtrusive functions, then these speakers from AmazonBasics are worth your consideration.
- Acoustic Audio R191 – Best for Home Theater
- The Acoustic Audio R191 in-ceiling speakers offer power that ranges between 20 to 200 watts for every speaker. It offers a versatile speaker set that brings a real home theater experience a notch higher.
- It also features polypropylene 5.25-inch woofers, 8 ohms of impedance pool, and a 12mm soft dome tweeter that ensures that the sound quality produced is both clean and crisp.
- It features a paintable grille and frame that ensures easy installation, along with the flexibility to adjust to the look of your home decors.
- One thing loved about this speakers is that it comes with a low-profile housing that makes it easy to install with some cutout templates that help in discovering the right size that has to be cut out of the ceiling. These speakers also feature an all-weather design, which makes it work well with both indoor and outdoor use.
- Niles CM7S1 FG01659 – Ideal For Bathroom Speakers
- Niles has been manufacturing amazing speakers for several years already. This model is an interesting addition to their list. It comes in the form of a single speaker that produces its own sound, doing it quite well.
- It comes with a 7-inch composite woofer that offers a worthy and full bass. With its two 1-inch dome tweeters that are directed at opposing angles, it produces a wide projection to the sound throughout the entire space.
- The mids and highs are also well-separated and crisp. An additional speaker may be added to ensure comprehensive coverage, especially for bigger rooms.
- This speaker is moisture resistant, increasing the range of possible locations where it can be installed, such as inside a small bathroom.
- The installation process is easy, thanks to its spring-loaded mountain clamps, as well as the included cutting templates.
Buyer’s Guide – How to Choose the Best In-Ceiling Speakers
Before buying an in-ceiling speaker, there are a few things that need to be taken into consideration. They may not be as straightforward compared to stand-alone speakers, but there are features that make it an interesting addition to your home.
- Sound Performance
When it comes to looking for in-ceiling speakers, sound performance is considered as the top priority. Depending on the type of material that is used for the tweeter and woofer, many models offer different levels of crispness and clarity in sound performance.
Most of the brands are quite competitive when it comes to the types of materials that they use, which is why there is an assurance that you will certainly find a model that will suit your needs and preferences. Some speakers feature built-in controls for various frequency ranges, including mids and highs, allowing you to fine-tune the system based on the room and your personal preferences.
One thing to note, however, is that before getting a speaker, note the low-end performance. This is because not all models do not reproduce bass well, and this may determine your actual choice, especially if you are a bass enthusiast.
- Adjustable Positioning
Another very important feature of a reliable in-ceiling speaker is the capacity of specific parts to swivel. This will allow you to position them in areas which may not be ideal, and later adjust them to the right direction.
Certain speakers also feature moveable tweeters, and others also have moveable woofers if you can place the speakers in the right area in the ceiling where they will be aligned perfectly to your preferred listening position so that you will not have to need this additional feature.
If this is not the case, however, it is often worth spending extra money on tweeters that can swivel, and it is a good investment.
In general, in-ceiling speakers may be difficult to install by yourself. In order to make the process easier, some speaker models feature some specialized systems such as included templates and tab systems, which allows you to install them with basic tools.
If the speakers do not come with built-in terminals, there may be a need to request the assistance of an expert in order to get them right in place while making sure that they also work accordingly. Some models allow you to replace some in-ceiling speakers under the same brand without requiring you to drill new holes.
- Quality of Build
If you do not want to end up buying an in-ceiling speaker several times, it is important to choose one with a dependable quality of the build. In fact, it is a very important feature that buyers need to pay attention to. The quality of a speaker’s build is backed up by the type of materials that have been used in the construction of the speaker, as well as its exterior.
Some speaker models use specialized technology, including rust-resistant and water-resistant design, which enables them to be installed in kitchens and bathrooms. As such, if you are planning to do the same thing, it is important to look for these features as well.
In-ceiling speakers are supposed to vanish almost completely in your ceiling. To achieve the right harmony with the surroundings, most models introduce a low-profile design, which usually comes in white.
Some speakers use paintable grilles, which help in blending even more. This type of feature may not be important to some buyers, but if you consider it as something that is very important, you will no doubt find a speaker who will disappear almost completely into your ceiling.
Checking the list above have already narrowed down your options as of this point. Keep in mind that investing in a speaker with a good quality of build only means that it will last longer. This means that even if you need to pay more, it is still a worthy investment for you. In-ceiling speakers are, no doubt an amazing addition to any interior area.