Waking up early in the morning used to be a big challenge to everyone before the advent of smart alarm clocks. The smart alarm clocks are so useful in one’s daily life. If your old alarm clock is not helping you wake up in the morning, then it could be the best time for switching to a smart alarm clock. Read on and find out the best possible model for your needs.
- Best Value: Philips Somneo
Editor’s Rating: 4.8 out of 5
- Philips has been a trusted brand of sleep-and-wake lights. This product has the app-enabled customization that makes it simple for anybody to set his or her sleep schedule by using sunset and sunrise lights.
- Built-in Light – it is the best feature that you will find in this model. It uses the color-changing LED light that imitates the natural sunset and sunrise. You can set the unit to change the list based on your morning and evening routine. Plus, you may combine it with the audio alarms.
- Custom Lights – feel free to customize the colors of those light alarms. Also, you can set the time for each of them through the touchscreen of Somneo Connected.
- Built-in wake-up and sleep light
- Responsive app and touch display
- Battery backup
- Doesn’t support smarthome integration
- Best in Design: Lenovo Smart Clock
Editor’s Rating: 4.7 out of 5
- Smaller and Portable – unlike other alarm clocks in the market, this one is smaller and much easier to use. It goes with extraordinary and unique features that made it suitable for the nightstand.
- Additional USB Port – it comes with a USB port at the rear, allowing you to plug in the charging cable for smartwatch or mobile phone.
- Sunrise Alarm – this feature gradually increases the Display’s brightness before the alarm turns off. It starts to work at around 30 minutes before the clock rings. When it rings, you just need to say “Stop”.
- Tap to Snooze – this feature is so convenient and useful. It makes the unit compatible with the Nest cameras. Feel free to call live feeds when you want to.
- Sunrise Alarm
- Tap to Snooze
- Additional USB port
- Doesn’t support Google Photos
- Best Compact Smart Alarm Clock: Amazon Echo Dot
Editor’s Review: 4.7 out of 5
- Compact, Simple Design – this smart alarm clock has been so popular, mainly due to its unique design. It is so nice and simple. The device itself looks compact and easy to carry but sturdy enough. It is a great LED clock with a compact size that makes it a good choice for the nightstand.
- Good Speaker – it features a super-incredible speaker powered by Alexa. The alarm sound is audible even when you’re at a distance. Alexa is giving a wide array of skills that you can use upon unlocking this alarm clock with a wake word that you can customize. By default, it is “Alexa”.
- Good Speaker Performance – the included speaker in this smart alarm clock is loud and makes for a very effective alarm. However, the sound tends to be distorted when set at the maximum volume.
- The compact and decent clock face
- Can be used with most smart home products
- Can play audiobooks, news, music, and ambient sounds on the sleep timer
- Audio quality needs improvement
- Best for Light and Heavy Sleepers: FITFORT Alarm Clock
Editor’s Review: 4.6 out of 5
- Best for Light and Heavy Sleepers – this smart alarm clock features sunrise stimulation that works great to help all sleepers wake up right on time.
- Double Alarms – with this feature, you can set a wake-up time for yourself and another for another individual.
- Auto FM Radio – it allows you to play all your favorite shows. The alarm will continuously play until you wake up.
- 60+ channels available – with these, there is no limitation to what you can truly enjoy.
- Sophisticated looks
- Can be difficult to use for some
- Best Smart Alarm Clock for Light Sleepers: HeimVision A80S
Editor’s Rating: 4.4 out of 5
- FM Radio – this smart alarm clock goes with an FM radio that you can easily set if you want to hear your favorite songs.
- Great Alarm Sounds – this alarm clock also comes with a wide array of good alarm sounds that you will enjoy. They range from beeps to chords to pianos. Waking up every morning has been made more enjoyable with these tunes.
- 20 Noise Levels – this alarm clock also allows you to set the noise levels to 20 settings, helping you in setting the alarm to what makes you feel comfortable.
- Sunrise Simulations – the unit stands out from the competition when it comes to sunrise simulations. Rather than waking you with the blinding white lights, it begins with the soft red hue that will slowly turn into white.
- Adjustable brightness
- Natural lighting
- The brightness of the display can be disturbing for some
- Best for Heavy Sleepers: Sonic Bomb
Editor’s Rating: 4.4 out of 5
- Awesome Sound Quality – the sound of this alarm clock is pretty loud and audible, even at a distance. It even goes with a nice bed shaker that wakes you up faster. Getting up is much easier.
- Snooze Button – this smart alarm clock includes the snooze button. This feature will be so useful in some cases.
- Full-Range Dimmer – it also features the special full-range dimmer that works best for those who don’t want a brighter ambiance as they fall asleep.
- Battery Backup – the best of all, this smart alarm clock includes a battery backup that powers the device in case electricity is unavailable.
- Strong vibrations
- Nice display
- Dimmable lighting
- May not be sufficient for some heavy sleepers
- Highly Adjustable: DreamSky DS206
Editor’s Rating: 4.3 out of 5
- FM Radio – fall asleep with ease today by getting this smart alarm clock. Equipped with an FM radio, this unit is highly recommended for people who struggle to fall asleep.
- Large Screen Display – the unit goes with a large screen display measuring 4 inches. It also goes with the full-range dimmer. Hence, it becomes easier to read what is on the screen. You will see the current time and temperature.
- Loud Speaker – the tunes from the speaker are loud and audible enough even at a distance.
- USB Charging Port – you can also use this as a charging station for your tablet, smartphone, or any other devices. It has a USB port that allows you to charge your mobile devices straight from this alarm clock. The unit also has a battery backup that keeps it working in case of a power outage.
- Readable and vivid screen display
- Easy-to-adjust sound levels
- Loud speakers
- Nice, simple design
- Large fonts can be disturbing at night
- Best Child-Friendly: LittleHippo Mella
Editor’s Rating: 4.3 out of 5
- Ideal for Children and Adults – if you’re a child at heart or searching for a smart alarm clock for children, then you will never go wrong with this one. The unit is highly intuitive and offers the best way to get a child ready for another school day.
- Color-changing Lights – what’s more interesting in this alarm clock is the color-changing lights. The LED lighting turns to yellow a few minutes before the child wakes up, telling him to get up. It goes with three sound options, plus the child can pick what suits his liking.
- 5 Night Colors – the alarm clock also has 5-night colors to choose from. It can work as a timer. Older children will enjoy using the device for that purpose.
- Beautiful design
- Easy to use
- Best Smart Alarm Clock with a Battery Backup: Philips HF3520/60
Editor’s Review: 4.2 out of 5
- Effective – waking up in the morning will no longer be a struggle once you use this smart alarm clock. It makes you feel more energetic early in the morning.
- Dimming Sunset Effects – this smart alarm clock comes with dimming sunset effects, which make you fall asleep quickly. This feature combined with the natural sounds, making you feel like you’re drifting to the bed.
- Five Alarm Sounds – the unit features up to 5 lively alarm sounds that will encourage you to get up and start the day.
- Five wake-up sounds
- 12W power output
- Power backup
- Best in Simplicity: Anker Wakey
Editor’s Rating: 4.2 out of 5
- Good for Certain Users – this smart alarm clock is so ideal for people who are visually impaired and those who suffer from memory loss.
- Vivid Display – it comes with a high-resolution display that measures 8 inches. It clearly shows the month, day, and time. The large fonts are visible even when you stand at a distance from the smart alarm clock.
- 5-Alarm Settings – this feature lets you make a good plan for your daily waking up routine. You will find this feature very helpful in some situations, such as when you have a medicine that should be taken at a specific hour of the day.
- Auto-Dimming Option – the unit also has the auto-dimming option, which is responsible for changing the brightness of the light throughout the day. You can also disable this feature if you want high brightness during the day.
- Good for people with health issues
- Five alarm settings
- Slightly expensive
What is a Smart Alarm Clock and Why It’s Different from a Regular Alarm Clock?
If you have been struggling to get up out of bed every morning because your ordinary alarm clock seems to be useless, then why not switch to a smart alarm clock?!
A smart alarm clock is so useful as it comes with extraordinary features that regular alarm clocks can’t offer. It features customizable music alarms as well as smart home integration designed to improve your mornings, helping you wake up and be ready for today’s challenges.
Just imagine how easier it will be to come out of the bedroom when you have fewer snooze presses or when the smell of ground coffee beans makes you stimulated and activated. That’s the magic behind using a smart alarm clock.
Also, this type of alarm clock will allow you to set the bedside screen for turning right to the news or whatever you have to do and finish in the morning.
Besides, many smart alarm clocks today allow one to connect to a home WiFi. However, some require you to connect them to a smartphone via Bluetooth.
Is a Smart Alarm Clock Ideal for You?
With the fast home technology that quickly expands its presence in the different elements of life, anyone cannot help to wonder if a smart alarm clock is a necessity to his daily routine. Truly, this type of device is so useful.
Smart alarm clocks are far from the regular atomic clocks that often sit by the bedside and are typically lack of a few classic features. With these innovative alarm clocks, you do not have clock buttons for setting alarms.
Also, the internet connection has to be reliable as well. Or else, the device will be in the reboot cycle through the night. Some smart alarm clocks today do not have backup batteries that stop you from using them when electricity is unavailable.
For most users, the advantages tend to outweigh the drawbacks. This is a case to case basis, though. It varies from user to user. Either way, waking up every morning will be better and easier with smart alarm clocks. The newest and most famous platforms have gained newer features.
So, don’t hesitate to invest in one today. You will end up enjoying a lot of benefits for as long as you use it.
Advantages of Using a Smart Alarm Clock
You may not notice it, but using a smart alarm clock is so beneficial. Here are the benefits that you will enjoy each day once you use one:
A Healthier Sleep
No more disruptions will come by once you switch to a smart alarm clock. This device helps you sleep better at night that leads you to wake up with a refreshed and energized feeling. By mimicking the sunrise and sunset, a smart alarm clock can easily help you maintain a healthy sleep pattern. It will help your body in preparing for the lightest stage of the sleep cycle. As you can see in the list above, most of the smart alarm clocks have dimmer lighting or displays that prevent extra lighting within your bedroom. The less bright the room, the easier it is to fall asleep.
No More Loud Noises
Instead of the disturbing loud buzz, smart clocks offer you another way to wake up every morning. It will wake you up with those bright lights, soothing natural sounds, or your favorite song.
Experts are discouraging everyone from pressing the snooze button on their alarm clocks after the first ring. However, a lot of people seem unable to fight the temptation. With smart alarm clocks, you have no option but to get up. Fewer models offer this feature, but it’s way better to go for the one that does not have it.
No LED Lights
Some smart alarm clocks have this, but most brands preferred to use color-changing lights instead. They also offer the option to change the brightness or the auto-dimming feature. Remember, it is so hard to fall asleep at night with the lights turn on. The dimmer the room, it is the better.
No Distractions to Others
One of the common problems with using a regular alarm clock is it wakes you up and your roommates as well. This is not good, especially if they are graveyard shifters. To avoid causing a problem to your roommates, throw away that alarm clock and switch to the smart kind. Invest in a smart alarm clock that will wake you up without making a disturbing noise.
What to Consider When Buying a Smart Alarm Clock?
Buying a smart alarm clock is not a simple kind of investment. Since it’s packed with features that you will not find in a regular alarm clock, it is important to ensure that you will settle for a decent product. It has to be the one that will give the best value for your money. Here are the factors that you should consider in buying one:
- Check the main features – the more features available in the device, the more functional it is. Auto-dimming and color-changing lights are just two of the best features to look for in a smart alarm clock. Just don’t mind the snooze option.
- Check the price – spending a little more means you will get more out of the device. It does not mean a cheaper smart alarm clock is not good, but there’s nothing wrong if you stretch your budget. That’s how you can have a regret-free purchase.
- Find out if it has extras like an FM radio – the FM radio is a nice addition to a smart alarm clock. If you’re a music lover, then you must look for a good one that offers extras like this.
For a worry-free purchase, go for Amazon Echo Dot. As you can see, it is plenty of features. Setting the alarm has been made easier as you can do it through a voice command. If you want that one with a sunrise simulation capability, then your best choice will be HeimVision A80S. It has 20 noise levels and a selection of great alarm sounds.