Motorola is among the most trusted brands of smartphones for the past several years and until today. The brand came up with a lot of brilliant options to offer, including the Moto X4 and Moto G6. Which model should you buy? Find out the answer by reading this review and comparison.
About Moto X4
This is one of the best smartphones released a few years ago. Despite having older design characteristics, it has been paired with updated software and a bit affordable price.
It does not have those futuristic design characteristics or qualities of a 2018 smartphone. However, it receives excellent long-term support, with some units upgraded to Android 9 Pie. Nonetheless, Moto X4 is still a good buy even in 2020.
For an affordable price, you will get a smartphone with a 5.2-inch screen with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. It weighs 163 grams.
For its performance, the device comes with a powerful Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 chipset paired with Adreno 508 GPU. The device is available in 3GB/32GB and 4GB/64GB configurations. You can expand the storage of this phone with a microSD card. It runs on Android Nougat 8 (some units upgradable to Android 9 Pie).
For cameras, you will get a 12MP main shooter coupled with an 8MP ultra-wide sensor. For selfies, you get a 16MP sensor that guarantees clear and vivid photos.
Rest assured, the phone will last the whole day as it has a 3,000mAh battery. Recharging the phone is hassle-free as the phone comes with a USB Type-C port that supports 15Watts TurboPower fast-charge function. It also has security features like a fingerprint scanner and a 3.5 mm headphone jack.
Moto X4 has NFC and is water-resistant. It goes with more helpful software tricks. No wonder, it is a worth-considering alternative to Moto G6.
- Some units are upgradable to Android 9 Pie
- Snapdragon 630
- Insufficient battery life for some
About Moto G6
If you can shell out a few more bucks, then why not go for Moto G6?! It offers awesome features that are all hard to find in another smartphone. Moto G6 has a 5.7-inch screen that goes with a resolution of 1080 x 2160 pixels. The device weighs 167 grams.
It also guarantees a decent performance powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 SoC paired with Adreno 506 GPU. You will also get this in 3GB/32GB and 4GB/64GB. The phone also supports expandable storage using a microSD card. It runs on Android 8 Oreo.
You get good cameras with Moto X4. The main shooter is a 12MP coupled with a 5MP depth sensor. It also comes with an 8 MP front shooter for selfies. With a 3,000 mAh battery, you will enjoy a whole-day use – watching movies, playing games, and opening social media apps.
Moto G6 also has a USB Type-C charging port that supports 15W fast charge. It is also splash-proof, which means your phone is protected against splashes like minor rainfalls. Likewise, it has a fingerprint scanner and a 3.5 mm headphone jack.
- Modern design
- The first model of the G series with USB Type-C port
- Bigger screen
- Only splash-proof
Moto X4 vs. Moto G6 – Features and Comparison
As you can see, these two devices have their own sets of remarkable features. While they are the same in some aspects, such as in OS and storage capacities, they still differ in many ways.
Both Moto G6 and X4 have a glass back design that looks great with the metal chassis. Overall, they look stylish and premium, as if they are not budget phones. The edges are round for easy gripping with one hand. The back of the device includes dual cameras,
Also, these two smartphones include smartphone scanners seated underneath the display panel. A 3.5 mm headphone jack is also available on both devices. They also have great USB type-C ports for easy data transfer and quick charging.
The cameras are the back go together with LED flashlights. For Moto X4, the LED flash is on top of dual back cameras. For Moto G6, the LED flash sits underneath the camera sensors.
With thinner bezels and a bigger display, Moto G6 is a bit taller than Moto X4. Though it is slightly heavy than Moto X4, Moto G6 stands out for having a more modern design.
Winner – Moto G6
The Moto G6 is the obvious winner when it comes to design. It has a more modern look than Moto X4. It has a 5.7” screen with thinner bezels and a 2:1 aspect ratio. Its screen resolution is also better than that of Moto X4. Hence, Moto G6 produces more decent images with punchier colors.
However, these two smartphones are both equipped with an IPS LCD screen, which is okay for their prices. This type of screen is already enough to watch movies or videos on YouTube. Though, the Moto X4 display seems to perform better in some scenarios while watching a video because it does not have to stretch to fit on a taller display.
Winner – Moto G6
When it comes to processing and performance, Moto X4 seems to have the upper hand. Even though it was an older device, it goes with a power chipset – the Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 chipset. Way back before, this chipset is commonly used in mid-range smartphones.
The Snapdragon 450 chipset of Moto G6 is power-efficient, but the chipset of Moto G6 is way better and more powerful. Lags are less likely to happen in the latter considering its chipset.
Moto X4 not just beats the Moto G6 when it comes to performance. However, it is also better when it comes to handling graphics. Its GPU is Adreno 508 on Moto X4, while G6 comes with a bit less powerful GPU – Adreno 506.
Moto X4 comes with the advantage of a powerful GPU and reduced resolution display. This way, you will enjoy better pixels that power on the Moto X4.
Moreover, their base variants are both 3GB and 4GB RAM. However, the X4 is taking the lead when it comes to performance, considering that it is Snapdragon 630. The higher the storage, the better. For a smoother performance and operation, get the 4GB/64GB variant.
The Moto X4’s built-in storage is expandable to 256GB by using a microSD card. On the other hand, the G6 is supporting memory expansion of up to 128GB.
On top of these, both Moto X4 and G6 have sufficient power to support your daily tasks. Nonetheless, do not expect them to be powerhouses that can handle the HIFI games and heavy multitasking.
Winner – Moto X4
Both Moto G6 and X4 camera sensors appear the same, but this is not the case in some aspects. The dual rear cameras of Moto X4 are way better than those camera sensors at the back of G6. Moto G6 was the 1st G-lineup device with double rear cameras.
Moto X4 has a decent 12MP snapper with an aperture of 2.0. Its secondary shooter is a wide-angle camera. It is a wide-angle 8-megapixel sensor with an aperture of f/2.2 and a 120-degree field of view that is perfect for capturing landscape photos. It makes the X4 perfect for capturing wide portrait shots.
The smartphone is also supporting 4K recording at 30 fps. It can also capture a full-HD video at 60fps. Flipping to the front, you will see the 16-megapixel camera with an aperture of f/2.0.
On the other hand, the Moto G6 comes with double cameras at the back. The main shooter is 12MP, wherein the secondary shooter is a 5MP depth sensor for the bokeh effect. Both cameras have the aperture of f/1.8. Thus, it can give improved lighting for lowlight photography.
It does not support 4K video recording. Instead, the device can record a full-HF video at 60fps. Its 8MP selfie camera is capable of delivering good photos. The 16MP front camera is better than this not just on paper but in real-life scenarios, too.
Winner – Moto X4
Both Moto X4 and G6 run on Android 8 Oreo. Originally, the Moto X4 was released with Android Nougat 7.1, but the company released a software update and upgraded all Moto X4 units to Android 8 Oreo.
Moto G6, however, officially runs on Android Oreo with a minor customized UI layout from Motorola. These devices give a neat, satisfying user experience. Another nice thing is that the company rolls out a system upgrade to Android 9 Pie for both Moto X4 and G6. Apart from the nice Android experience, they both offer perks like Moto Voice that serves as your assistant and Moto gestures.
Winner – Moto G6
While they have a varying size for the screen, both devices come with a 3,000 mAh battery and the Motorola’s 15-watt TurboPower quick charge feature. When it comes to battery life, the X4 comes with advantages, such as:
- Smaller display
- More power-efficient chipset
- Lower screen resolution
The chipset of Moto G6 is not as power-efficient as the X4. It also has a bigger display screen that may consume a bit more juice.
Winner – Moto X4
The Advantages of Moto X4 Over Moto G6 and Vice Versa
At first glance, you may think Moto X4 is no longer worth considering by the way it looks, but you are wrong. When compared to Moto G6, you will see that it stands out in some elements, like:
- Chipset – X4 has the Qualcomm Snapdragon 630. This is a powerful chipset used in mid-range phones, so seeing this in Moto X4 is a big deal. It is capable enough of giving a smooth operation for all your daily tasks right from making calls and sending text messages to surfing the web and video streaming.
- Waterproof – Unlike the splash-resistant Moto G6, the Moto X4 has NFC and waterproofing feature that helps in case you drop the phone to the water by accident. It can survive under the water for 30 minutes at a depth of up to 1.5 meters.
- Adreno 508 – playing games can be more satisfying with Moto X4 as it comes with a better GPU than Moto G6.
- 8MP ultra-wide camera – the X4 is better to use when taking photos of a beautiful landscape or tall buildings. With an ultra-wide camera sensor, you can easily take photos of landscapes, buildings, and even groupies.
The battle doesn’t stop there. Moto G6 stands out over X4 in some ways:
- 5MP depth sensor – if you like capturing photos of objects, then the secondary rear camera of Moto G6 will be good for that purpose. It is a depth sensor that lets you add a blurred background to your images, emphasizing the subject.
- 5.7-inch screen – watching movies, TV shows, and videos on YouTube will be more enjoyable with Moto G6 as it has a bigger screen. Also, it will let you type messages faster than on a smaller screen.
- Modern design – compared to Moto X4, the G6 looks a little close to the latest trend of smartphones. It has slimmer bezels, and the fingerprint is still in the same position but looks smaller than the one in Moto X4.
To wrap it up, both Moto X4 and G6 have something nice to offer. They are both worth-considering, but you have to choose one. If you’re still confused in between Moto X4 and G6, here are the key selling points:
Use Moto X4 if:
- You want a smoother operation and no lags, especially when streaming videos or playing mobile games.
- You don’t want a bigger screen. You’re okay with a small screen that produces clear images with punchy colors.
- You want your phone to be waterproof.
- You’re fond of taking landscape photos.
- You love taking selfies. The 16MP selfie shooter of X4 is great for that.
Get your MotoX4 today and enjoy it at an affordable price.
Use Moto G6 if:
- You want a bigger screen. Watching movies or videos is more satisfying when your smartphone has a large screen.
- You like taking bokeh photos. X4 can’t give it to you.
- You are okay with splash-proofing.
- You are not a selfie addict. The 8MP selfie camera of Moto G6 is already capable of capturing great photos.
Click here to buy a Moto G6 now.